Friday, September 7, 2007

WAY OUT WEST

Good morning all - seems that Lynn may be the only one of us that is in more desolate country than I am this morning. Odessa, Texas may not be the other side of the world - but believe me it ain't (isn't) Southeast Texas. I am always amazed when we come out here as to why anyone would want to live here. But all that aside I was and am excited to be here with our friends. They make us feel so welcome. And then there is that thing about getting to stay in a hotel for a week and do only what I want to, that is always good. We are spending the weekend with Jerry and Terry and will move to the hotel on Sunday. Jim will be in class all week and I intend to enjoy every minute of down time. Actually I brought my sewing machine and hope to get some things done. (Only what I want too tho - no pressure).

Tonight we are going to see Permian play - you know the whole Friday Night Lights thing. Jim is so excited and I am trying desperately to catch the bug - but somehow it escapes me. It's that whole balls are supposed to be round and bounce thing - and you are not ever supposed to make contact with the other player. You'd think I understood basketball a little better than football. huuuuummmmm. This place lives, drinks and breaths Permian football. Makes you feel a little sorry for Odessa High - who by the way Jim played for in highschool. Click on the link below and you will see what I mean. (at least there is supposed to be a link) Not only was the entire front page and headline of the local newspaper about the game tonight ( there was a small part about OH) The entire front section was about football. Having said all that, I know it will be exciting. I am looking forward to it. http://www.mojoland.net/

But what I am looking more forward to is that this week is the Permian Basin Expo - and one of the featured performers is none other than Terry Fator. Now that, I am excited about. I have wanted to see him and thought I never would and here he is - just waiting for my arrival. Well at least here he is and I get to see him perform. If you don't know, he is the guy that just won Americas Got Talent; do a google on him and check him out - he is amazing. I would tell you what he does - besides impersonations - but I can't spell it so just google him - Reba knows. I will think about you when we go to the show Reba.

It seems really strange to be here without Zach. I found myself planning for him for this trip and having to do a reality check on that he wouldn't be here. He likes to come out here so if I allowed myself I could feel guilty. But I don't. The truth is that while he would love to be here - he isn't crying him self to sleep at night; and because he isn't - I choose not to also. Learning to live your life without considering your childrens needs first is a process. Sometimes harder than others. Sometimes it is almost impossible, other times it comes amazingly if not scarily easy.
As a side note - I feel the need to tell you that I am really pleased and proud of all our children right now. They are all moving through the trials and every dayness of their lives with determination and strength. And THAT, is one of the satisfactions (if sometimes brief) of post child rearing, watching them live.

Till another day (if I don't get lost in a sand storm or something)
triciaz

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Say HI to Lilly for me.

Love, Abbey

ps. Thanks for telling me who won America's Got Talent. We were wondering.